Saturday, April 4, 2009

Enthusiasm

I just returned from a trip to visit my grandkids in Iowa (that’s why I haven’t blogged in a while). Spending time with a two-year-old is a lesson in unbridled enthusiasm. My grandson loves throwing sticks in a stream by his house. Every morning when he got up he’d have a big grin on his face and say, “Grandpa, throw sticks in stream,” and we’d go collect sticks which he would drop off the bridge into the stream and watch float away. And he could do this for hours without getting bored. We went to the stream every day I was there and he was just as enthusiastic the last day as the first. I remember another lesson in enthusiasm when my oldest son performed in one of his first professional musical theater shows. It was at a converted mill in the mountains of Pennsylvania and he was performing Forever Plaid with three other young men. I went backstage after the performance to congratulate them and as I arrived one of the young men had a huge smile on his face and was saying to the others, “And they’re paying us to do this!”

No comments: