Friday, January 29, 2010

Writing a Synopsis

I enjoy writing novels and even like coming up with short, punchy blurbs or tag lines. But crafting a synopsis is a different story. I start with a basic outline when I’m beginning a novel. I then print this out to use as a guideline as I write. But my stories always go off in their own direction so when a novel is completed, I look back at my outline and find only part that has remained true to my original concept. I then use this outline to write a synopsis after the novel is completed. I write over the outline and have to change a great deal because of how the novel evolved. When I look at the first draft of a synopsis, I want to throw up. It’s a boring cut-out. Then I have to rewrite it to put some life into it. My druthers would be to skip a synopsis completely. I prefer someone reading my novel and getting caught up in the story and characters rather than having to digest a two-page summary.

1 comment:

Patricia Stoltey said...

I'll be at the synopsis writing stage of my new novel in March. I find the process challenging (and not in a pleasant way).