Thursday, November 3, 2016

Grandson Lessons – Anything Worthwhile Is Worth Putting in Your Mouth (Up To a Point)


During his first year, my grandson explored the universe by putting things in his mouth. Now that he’s fifteen months old, he doesn’t do this as often.

I’ve mellowed over the years. As a parent I was horrified when my kids put objects in their mouth. As a grandparent, I have more tolerance. Certain things absolutely should not go in a baby’s mouth, but a plastic block sitting in the play area used for teething is not worth having apoplexy over.

I remember reading Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. Developing immunity to germs contributed to the survival of modern society. A sterile environment may lead to lack of immunity. The good news is our grandson seems to have developed a healthy immunity to household germs. Still, I have to admit that I don’t put his plastic blocks in my mouth.

No comments: