Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Baseball, the Dodgers and Reading

The Dodgers winning the World Series brings back memories of my childhood when I was a rabid fan of the Brooklyn Dodgers. I listened to games on the radio and just happened to be home sick when they won the World Series in 1955. In 1956 the Dodgers went on an exhibition tour to Japan and I watched them play an exhibition in Honolulu where I grew up. I also collected a number of autographs when they arrived at the Honolulu airport.

How does all of this connect with reading? As a reluctant reader, one time in the school library I was fooling around rather than reading. The librarian approached me and asked what interested me. I said, “baseball.”  She took me over to a section of the library that contained books about baseball. From then on I became hooked on reading.

No comments: