Thursday, April 8, 2021

Editing a Manuscript

How much editing should an author do on a manuscript? I tend to write a first draft quickly but then go through numerous editing passes. This includes checking the consistency of the content, grammar and punctuation, consistency of the character descriptions. In spite of all the passes, once I let someone else read it, they always find things I missed. This raises the question of what is enough editing?

I’m reminded of a similar question when I was in the computer industry. We often said that some engineers would never be ready for a product to be released because they could always find ways to improve what they were designing. Similarly, I can always find more areas for improvement when I do an additional editing pass, but I could do this forever and never get it published. If I discover a major flaw or error I need to fix it. Put there comes a time when the minor tuning needs to give way to getting it into the publisher’s hands. That will lead to additional changes because my editor will find things I missed.

No comments: