Thursday, June 17, 2021

End of a School Year

This has been quite a kindergarten school year for our grandson and for me. We started out in September with Zoom school. I was his Zoom assistant and helped keep the computer running and assisted with craft projects. All I can say is that his teacher did an amazing job in preparation, engaging 14 squirming kids and keeping her sense of humor. In April in-person school opened up to the joy of teachers, students and parents. We had one glitch, when there was a COVID case in our grandson’s class and we had to switch back to Zoom school for a week, but other than that it went well. He made new friends and came running out of school each day when I picked him up with a smile on his face as he and his buddies chased each other around the grass in front of the school. I know some parents worried that Zoom school deprived the kids of socialization and there is truth in that, but I think kindergarteners suffered less than older students because they hadn’t experienced in-person elementary school before. Our grandson received a good start with kindergarten supplemented by two afternoons a week in an extension of his preschool program and my wife, an ex-teacher, doing workbooks with him every day. On to first grade.

No comments: