Friday, June 11, 2010

Retirement Homes

Since I write about older characters some of whom live in retirement homes, I visit many retirement communities. Yesterday, I went to the 50th anniversary celebration for the Frasier Meadows Retirement Community in Boulder, Colorado. In addition to great food and interesting people to meet, I heard Larry Minnix, President and CEO of the American Association of Homes and Services for the Aging (AAHSA) speak. He made excellent comments about the aging population and opportunities ahead for the older population. I got a kick out of a story Larry told. His mother was in a retirement community and after becoming a floor leader, she commented to Larry about senior romance saying, “I’ve bit off more than I can chew. You wouldn’t believe what goes on in this place after dark.”

No comments: