Saturday, August 28, 2010

Tidbits from Recent Presentations

I have recently given a number of presentations to service organizations and retirement communities. Here is a sampling of stories and information from audience members:

One family trained an older family member that when she told the same story over again, her relatives would raise the number of fingers to indicate how many times that story had been told.

After one presentation a woman waited to speak to me. When her time came she informed me that in my talk I had said, “jump off of,” which is grammatically incorrect and should be, “jump off.” I concurred that she was right. She noted that these things are very important because she used to be a proofreader. I guess I’m going to have to join a critique group for my presentations as well as my writing.

I liked this quote I was given by one person, “Our children are our investment and our grandchildren are the interest on the investment.”

Another quote, “There’s never enough time unless you’re serving it.”

At some of the service clubs, members like to josh each other. One man was telling the audience his background and stated that he had attended a particular school for three years. An audience member piped up, “Yeah but it’s only a two year school.”

No comments: