Thursday, June 6, 2013

Doing Something Different

I find that I develop habits and do certain things the same way, time after time. This is useful for brushing teeth, taking showers and shaving, but in my writing world, I try different topics and different genres.

My published novels are mysteries, including geezer-lit and paranormal. But I’ve also completed manuscripts for historical, middle grade and young adult mysteries. Then I’ve also written several mainstream novels.

Right now I’m once again trying something different. I’m interviewing a 94-year-old World War II veteran and prisoner of war about his experiences. He has the most amazing stories that I’m trying to capture and document. We haven’t decided what we’ll do with the result, but I’m sure learning a lot and enjoying getting to know him.

In your own life where do you do the same things and where do you try something different?

No comments: