Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Watching Tennis on Television

How many of you watch tennis on television? With the French Open just completed, we’re now on track for Wimbledon and the US Open.

I played competitive tennis as a kid and in college, but now play a racquet sport called platform tennis. I’d rather play sports than watch them on television, but when I do watch tennis, I prefer to see doubles rather than singles.
But over ninety percent of the television coverage of tennis shows singles. I guess I don’t enjoy watching two players on the baseline hitting balls back and forth. I like the strategy of doubles and the net play. The irony is that most people who play tennis, play doubles, yet the coverage favors singles. About the only time doubles is shown on television is when the Bryan Brothers or Williams Sisters are playing.

I’ve concluded that this fits in with our culture of the celebrity. The networks feed the desire to see the individual triumph rather than the teamwork of doubles. Personally, I think the teamwork aspect of doubles adds to the excitement and interest, but I appear to be in the minority.
What do you think?

No comments: