Thursday, March 1, 2018

Gun Violence

I have stayed away from political topics in this blog, but there is one issue I can no longer ignore and must speak about: gun violence. By way of background, I have no problem with people owning properly obtained handguns and hunting rifles. Although I have not been in law enforcement, I have had the opportunity to attend three citizens’ police academies and to help train over 100 law enforcement officers (local police, sheriffs’ deputies and FBI) as a role playing volunteer. I have been involved in law enforcement training exercises as a hostage, hostage taker, and shooting victim in an active shooter scenario at a high school. I value the dedication and courage of law enforcement officers who put their lives on the line daily.

But it is time to make serious changes to the use of assault weapons in our country, We need legislation to improve background checks, eliminate bump stocks, improve mental health services and ban assault weapons. I have enjoyed shooting guns on a range, but there is no need for semi-automatic and automatic military-style rifles to be readily available. Sure, it’s a thrill to shoot a semi-automatic rifle, but I am happy to give up the thrill for the safety of our children in schools. The second amendment allows us to bear arms but it doesn’t indicate that we need assault weapons just as you wouldn’t want other than the military to have rocket launchers.

It’s time for common sense to prevail and for effective changes to be made to reduce the risk of gun violence.

No comments: