Thursday, June 6, 2019

Are There Rules for Writing Genres and Should an Author Stick to One Genre?

Since I write primarily mysteries, I’m always interested in purported “rules” for various sub-genres of mysteries. Most of my mystery novels are on the cozy end of the spectrum. It’s often stated that cozies should have no sex, no swearing and no on screen violence. In my Paul Jacobson Geezer-lit Mystery Series, I violate two of these rules with geezer romance and a protagonist who cusses. I even received a one-star review for language (Paul uses hell and damn).

Here’s my take. I write what I enjoy reading and to tell the story I want to tell. When I started I didn’t even know about these “rules.” Now that I’ve heard about then, I still don’t follow them. I also don’t stick to strict genres. I have two novels that mix mystery and paranormal elements. I mix mystery and romance (I was a card carrying member of Romance Writers of America for several years). As well as my six book amateur sleuth series, other mysteries include historical, private eye, theater, professional organizer, sports, a thriller and a biography of a World War II veteran.

For me it’s challenging and interesting to try different subject matter.

No comments: