Thursday, October 17, 2019

Writing Series, Sequels or Standalones

When I started writing, I didn’t give any consideration to writing a series or a standalone. As I got into writing my first published novel, Retirement Homes Are Murder, I started thinking beyond the first book. Eventually, this ended up being a six book series. Once I made the decision to view this as a series, I sketched out additional locations and plots for the protagonist, Paul Jacobson.


Since then I have also written and had published a number of standalone books. I also gave thought to what I might do if I decided to continue with the same protagonist. At this point in my writing journey I have sixteen published books with another due out in November, 2019.

Of these two, are sequels. My most recently published mystery novel, Paradise Court, is a sequel to Court Trouble. These are both sports mysteries featuring the sports of platform tennis and pickleball, sports I have played. Coming out next month is The Front Wing, a sequel to The Back Wing, a paranormal geezer-lit mystery taking place in a retirement community with very unusual residents.
 
 

No comments: