Thursday, November 14, 2019

Older Writers

I know some writers who have been writing since they were eight years old. I’m at the other end of the spectrum. I didn’t start writing until I was 56, and my first novel was published when I was 62. So I like collecting information about older writers. Here are a few:

Delia Owens debut novel, Where the Crawdads Sing, was published when she was 70.

You don’t even need to be alive to be published. Mary Ann Shaffer died at the age of 73. Her novel, The Guernsey Literary and Peel Pie Society, became a best seller after her death.

Herman Wouk published his novel, The Lawgiver, in 2012 at the age of 97.

Morrie Markoff was at the 2017 Los Angeles Times Festival of Books signing the first book he had ever written and published, his memoir, Keep Breathing. At the time he was 103.

So it’s never too late to start writing and never too late to get published.

No comments: