Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Write At Any Age

“I’d like to write, but I’m too old to write.” I’ve heard this statement many times from seniors who I’ve spoken with at retirement homes. The truth is you’re never too old to write. I published my first novel at 62. Laura Ingalls Wilder published her first Little House book (Little House in the Woods) at age 65. And then there is Helen Hooven Santmyer who published And the Ladies of the Club at age 87 while in a nursing home. This was later rereleased and became a best seller. Better yet, Millard Kaufman published his first novel Bowl of Cherries at the age of 90. So don’t let age either young or old get in your way (I’m mentoring an eighth grade student who is writing a novel for a school project this year). There are two prerequisites: the desire to write and the perseverance. Writing skills can be learned through critique groups, classes, reading books about writing and lots of practice. If you want to write, pick up that pencil or pen or go to your keyboard. Don’t put it off. You never know what will happen.

No comments: