Saturday, January 15, 2011

Dealing with a Crisis

The last three days have been pure chaos. We had a fire in our house, and we’re all fine, but there’s a lot of repair work to be done. For two days I was in crisis mode dealing with the house, coordinating with the repair crew, talking to insurance agents, while still trying to maintain a commitment to speak, a Boulder County Aging Advisory Council meeting, and a Rocky Mountain Mystery Writers meeting. Then yesterday with no commitments, it all hit me. Originally I had planned to write most of the day, but after fifteen minutes, I lost all motivation and took a nap. I’m sure I’ll eventually look back at the absurd events that let up to the fire and laugh, but not yet. The only positive part is that it has inspired an idea for a short story. This is how writers deal with bad situations: everything is material for writing, which provides our form of therapy.

No comments: