Saturday, January 29, 2011

Adaptability

I’ve learned a lesson recently on adaptability. Writers like to have a writing routine and stick with it. Unfortunately, we had a house fire that damaged part of the outside of our house and knocked the kitchen, family room and downstairs bathroom out of commission. On the positive side, no one was hurt. For nine days we camped out in a motel, and now that we’re back in the house, we’re cooking with a microwave in the dining room and have our refrigerator in the hall by the entryway. My writing office was unaffected, but with people working on the repairs and restoration, the house has been in a state of chaos. With all that needs to be done, I find it hard to concentrate, particularly when I realize that we won’t have our house back the way it was for many weeks. Somehow, I was able to complete a first round of editing on a manuscript, but my amount of writing time is much less than I had planned. Someday we will look back on this and . . . but not yet.

No comments: