Tuesday, May 21, 2013

My Secret Life as a Romance Writer


In addition to writing geezer-lit and paranormal mysteries, I’m now a card-carrying member of Romance Writers of America. This is only natural since I have geezer romance and paranormal romance in my mystery novels. My writing friends, Lynda Hilburn and Karen Graffenberger, have been encouraging me to join RWA, and I finally succumbed and also signed up for Colorado Romance Writers as well.

This last Saturday, I made my first foray into the world of romance writers by attending a mini-conference put on by CRW and Heart of Denver Romance Writers. Lo and behold, I found fellow mystery writers and online mystery critique partners, Becky Martinez and Darla Barton, attending.

And another surprise—one other attendee of the male persuasion, a brave soul who joined me in the group of fifty plus (number not age) romance writers. I was not alone.

The conference was terrific. Speaker Kristen Lamb wowed us with her insights and recommendations into the effective use of social media. I took copious notes, including a full page of to-dos, and came home to immediately update my blog site. I’ve also vowed to finally use Twitter (groan) effectively. Yes, I’m officially twitterpated. 

No comments: