Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Why I Write


Why do I write? I’ve given this some though recently in all the flurry of completing a manuscript, releasing a new book, signing a contract for another, and, oh yes, trying to promote existing books.

So why do I write? For me the answer is that I have stories to tell and I enjoy communicating with readers. I like writing and allocate every morning I’m not traveling or doing an event to working on my next manuscript. This plus editing other manuscripts and participating in an online critique group fill out my writing priorities.

Then it’s on to promoting, an endless task that always requires more time than I have to put into it. I like giving presentations, doing library events, attending reader conferences and conducting signings, but I must say I’m not a fan of all the social media tasks that bombard me. Facebook isn’t bad, I participate in three blogs including this one, but Twitter has never made much sense to me. I tweet periodically, but don’t have time to read the barrage of tweets that come my way.

I’m writing because I enjoy it and not focused on trying to make as much money as I can. The money thing becomes more of a measure of the acceptance of my books. But here’s the rub. I always feel there is more I can be doing to promote my books. Then I become frustrated in the circular aspect of social media. Example: post on a Yahoo group that I’ve blogged, so people will read my blog and then go to my website, find information about my books and buy them. This seems inherently convoluted to me. I guess I’m old school. I like meeting with readers in person at events and chatting with them. That may not be the most efficient way to build awareness, but I certainly find it more enjoyable.

No comments: