Thursday, January 25, 2018

Life of a Two-Year-Old

I’ve been learning a lot from our two-year-old grandson. Hopefully, I’m teaching him a few things as well. My observations come from being with him almost every day, actually spending more time with him than I did with any of our three kids when they were this age because back then I was working full time rather than my current retired lifestyle.

One of the things I’ve enjoyed watching is how he responds to friendship. He has one good buddy who he plays with at the playground. They see each other several times a week. My grandson is always excited when he first sees his friend again. They run up to each other, jabbering excitedly. But most of their time together is parallel play, each doing his own thing with a truck or shovel. They also like to chase each other, and sometimes one of them wants to tackle the other. Occasionally, one wants a toy the other is playing with, and this leads to a tugging match, once resulting in a broken toy cement mixer.

Usually, my grandson doesn’t want to leave the playground, but once in a while he climbs into the stroller to indicate he’s ready to head back to our house for lunch and a nap. In either case, he waves to his friend and we’re off.

No comments: