Thursday, January 4, 2018

Physical Aspects of Aging

Many of my mystery novels include older characters. I guess that’s appropriate because I am now an older character.

For all of you young ‘uns and even the oldsters, here’s what I’ve learned about the physical aspects of aging.

1.      It happens. Get used to it.

2.      Things that used to get done quickly, take longer. Bending, lifting, moving all take more time than in the past. I also find I get distracted more. My wife refers to this as the intervening thought. I go into a room to get scissors, notice a magazine I haven’t finished and forget the scissors. I leave the room and then realize I need the scissors. Much slower that doing it the first time. My morning routine of getting up, grooming, eating breakfast and doing my stretches now takes close to two hours. Part of this is because of my slower pace. The other part is that after shoulder, neck, back, hip and knee pain, I have more stretches and exercises to do.

3.      I played competitive tennis as a kid and in college, but now my main exercise is walking. The joints can ‘t take jogging any longer, but I enjoy an hour walk. It gets me outside, I get my sunshine vitamin D, and I can enjoy the scenery while getting a good workout.

So there are changes as we get older. But as my stepdad used to say, it sure beats the alternative.

No comments: